Friday 9 October 2009

Homemade skirt and a thrifted coat


Back in July, I mentioned that I'd quite like to try a few more sewing projects with corduroy. It is definitely the easiest material for making clothes, in my experience - it just kindof 'behaves' itself. So the other day, I ordered a meter of navy corduroy from eBay and it arrived this morning!

I made this skirt in about an hour, and it was very very simple to make. Basically, its a thick waistband with a gathered panel of fabric stitched into it. The 'design feature' is an exposed zip down the side, mainly because I'm not very good at doing hidden zips!

I wore it with my favourite top and scarf, which was a hidden treasure from my old dressing-up box.

The burgundy coat was thrifted at a carboot for a grand total of £1.50. It was originally from Primark! They really do make some very nice things. I have to say, I'm not 100% keen on the coat because it's a bit too 'victorian' for my tastes, but I'm going to see if my opinion changes when it gets a bit colder.


I've also ordered some moss-green corduroy fabric which should arrive fairly soon. I'm probably going to use it to make an identical skirt - and I might do a tutorial on it if anyone would like one?

Sadie xxx

30 comments:

Kavita @ She Wears Fashion - UK style and fashion blog said...

Wow what a beautifully made skirt! :) <3

Parapluie said...

The skirt looks great, a tutorial would be amazing!

fröken lila said...

it's a lovely coat, the colour and buttons look great!

Ingvild said...

Very pretty skirt, a tutorial would be so nice!

Amelia said...

I really like that coat! The color is wonderful. I've always liked that sort of raspberry color with navy.

Lauren Doughty said...

A tutorial would be great I think! I always have ideas to make skirts out of fabric I see but I'm a bit hopeless with pattern cutting and don't have any idea how... x

Faux Naif said...

oh wow, you made that skirt? i'm hopeless at sewing. corduroy is such a lovely material - so comfortable and autumnal! you look so pretty!

Cypriotchick said...

The skirt is awesome and the coat was such a great find :D

CYPRIOTCHICK.blogspot.com

Dannie said...

adorable!!
loving the exposed zipper on your skirt and your coat is sooo old hollywood cuuute!

ONiC said...

ohh i love you!! i really really want the tutorial. its look so professional made!

Fashionisaparty.com (Suz) said...

really cute with the scarf :) it gives me a farm feeling..
xx

Gracie said...

hello Sadie,
that is so gorgeous. and we would all love a tutorial, for sure!♥
much love, Gracie.
xx

youna said...

A tutorial would be really cool, because your skirt is really pretty (and I have no imagination as for sewing).
And if you decide you don't like your coat... I looove it it's so pretty ! I'd be happy to buy it lol

Amy // The Girl In The Bowler Hat said...

A tutorial would be lovely as I eventually get my sewing machine in 9 days! And I've made anything myself that wasn't in textiles lessons!
Your coat is lovely! I love the colour of it, it's very autumny. :)

xxxx

Georgie said...

Amazing skirt! Yes pleeease do a tutorial I need learn how to use my Mum's sewing machine.
xx

loveinthesummer said...

skirt is adorable, a tutorial would be great!

Penny said...

I would love a tutorial! & I absolutely worship the coat, it's gorgeous (:

Rachel said...

Love the skirt and a tutorial would be awesome. I was trying to make a skirt similar to that but using suede. Too difficult to work with, so I think I might have to switch to corduroy, since you say it's so easy to work with.

Little Bo Peeep said...

oh wow what a gorgeous corduroy skirt! i actually think the whole exposed zipper works really well with the skirt :) i would like to see your corduroy experiments using different colours of the corduroy material.

that red wine coat of yours is gorgeous <3

Anonymous said...

well done on the skirt and you really did get a bargain with that coat!! lovely...

looby xx

abster said...

okay i love the skirt.
AND the jacket is to die for.

tracy said...

absolutely love your outfit!

Kate said...

I love your skirt so much, and it looks so nice with that top (:

Seda said...

Great skirt, I'm also going to make some skirts very soon. So yes please, do a tutoral!

xx

Eva said...

nice, yes, tutorial please ^^

Sarah said...

I would love to see a tutorial! The coat is gorgeous and I think it really suits your classic features.

Green Freedom said...

you're so pretty !

Anonymous said...

Lovely outfit - where did it get that stripe Breton top? I've been looking for one like that for ages!

Polly x

Anouk said...

This outfits is so ♥.

Csára said...

I like your clothes *-* lovelovelove
wááááóóówááá *-*