Tuesday 22 January 2013

Dusting the cobwebs off the sewing machine


There is something about writing essays for uni that makes me really want to sew. It's probably procrastination, but I also find it really relaxing, and I also love the idea of making things with my very own hands. I'd take fabric and thread over writing out long bibliographies any day!

Now I've finished my first major essay of the year, I'm deliberately giving myself a few weeks off to do things I feel too guilty doing when there is a deadline looming. I brought these three retro patterns back from home after Christmas, and found this salmon-pink fabric for €5 at a vintage shop in Montmartre (living the dream!). It's a bit more pink than it looks in the photo, and I think it'll make a lovely blouse à la this one, but probably with sleeves this time.

I'll let you know how it goes...

What's your favourite thing to do to de-stress? Does anyone else sew or knit?

Sadie xxx

8 comments:

Sophie Makes Things said...

I do exactly the same... there's something very satisfying about sewing when you know you have some time off :) I love that peter pan collar pattern!
Ahh, I went to Paris in November with my boyfriend, & happened to stumble across the jumble sale esque fabric shops in Montmartre whilst visiting the Sacre Coeur! Got a bit over excited & bought a little too much to fit in my suitcase though....haha. Hope all is well in Paris :)

Joyce said...

I wish I had your sewing skills! Look forward to seeing what you make. :)

Unknown said...

Hi Sadie,if I could sew then I would transform all the dress ideas that fly around in my head into reality,but I cant.To destress I read.

Stiletto High Heels

Unknown said...

i love both sewing and knitting, but i haven't learnt how to sew yet, but it's one of my resolutions for this year!I definitely think you should make a similar blouse!annie x

www.cheramiblogger.blogspot.co.uk

Little Girl in Wonderland said...

I love sewing :) I'm currently working on a mustard yellow coat. I recently forrayed into changing commercial patterns and adapted a 60s dress pattern to make the pattern for my coat. I used to document everything on my sewing blog, but sadly, I've lost my blogging (but thankfully not my sewing) mojo.

Anonymous said...

I like knitting! Really simple stuff with chunky wool so it's quick and looks good even if it's made with knit stitch while watching TV.

Fragile Bird said...

I am dying to learn to knit!! But it looks so hard, but I think I'm gonna give it a go

Please come and check out my latest post if you have a few minutes spare :)

www.fragile-bird.blogspot.co.uk

Helen

X

Unknown said...

Just started reading your blog :) I completely relate to this!
I have just finished sorting through fabric to bring with me to college, in the hopes that I'll fit a few dresses in between assignments. Who knows how that will go...

Good luck with your top, I'm sure it will be lovely :)