Sunday 30 September 2012

Motivation: Overdressed by Elizabeth Cline


I always bring up Lucy Siegle's book To Die For when asked why I only want to shop ethically. To be honest, that book is the sole reason I actually realised that 'ethical' is the way forward. It was a very good 20th birthday present indeed... thankyou, boyfriend! The best thing about Lucy Siegle's book is that she is writing as a fashion lover who previously shared all the same shopping habits as the rest of the western consumer world, so you most certainly don't feel like you're being told off by someone who thinks they are 'holier than thou'. It's also very easy to read. In short... read it! Haha.

Anyway, one year on (for my 21st), I received Overdressed by Elizabeth Cline, which is effectively the American version of To Die For. It has come at just the right time, when I'm in need of an extra boost of motivation for shopping ethically. Also, after reading and talking French all day at my internship, it's great to finally have some English language bedtime reading.

I want to go through it with a highlighter and highlight the most interesting bits, but it's so pristine I just can't face it!

Has anyone else got any good ethical fashion related reads, or blogs?

Sadie xxx

P.S. Thankyou for all of your supportive comments on my last post!

4 comments:

Miss Tallulah Porkchop said...

I read a review on this book and I was horrified at myself and my shopping habits and vowed to make a change. I am participating in Buy Nothing New Month here is Australia. *grits teeth* Let's see how I go.

Srk said...

Thanks for your grateful informations, this blogs will be really help for Students internship.

Py said...

Hi Sadie. I love your blog! (I've only been reading since it was already ethical)
I have also red To Die For, but as a non-native english speaker I actually found it quite difficult to get through.. And sometimes a little too 'angry', if you know what I mean. I've also considered reading Overdressed, so I would very much like to hear your opinion about it :)

G Tauberge said...

looks like a good read! It took me forever to realize the necessity of investing in quality pieces that wouldn't unravel after one wash, ha.

p.s I'm surrounded by french speakers all day at university too, so I understand the relief of having some english immersion at the end of the day. For me it's watching old episodes of cheesy sitcoms.